You know after watching Episode 2…I sat. Just…sat. Then I started thinking…that’s when I smelt smoke.
How would one do a recap without creating a commentary? There was simply TOO MUCH AWESOME in that episode to just regurgitate it all back at you like so many already do.
I call it the Rapid Fire episode.
So…instead of doing my blurt like recap. I am going to give you a top 10 Things I Loved … along with some of the tweets from #OutlanderCAN. #OutlanderCAN is the hashtag us ABOotlanders came up with before season 1 started. Showcase has come aboard using it in support. They added a fun lil contest this time as well. We hope that becomes a regular occurrence. Let’s just say Showcase has upped their game since the “win a subway giftcard” days
Don’t you love when each episode starts – “Previously…on Outlander”? Showing us in quickies what’s occurred in other episodes which will “refresh” us for the next one. So many of us…previously on Outlander means – we have watched it…not once…not thrice but repeatedly in an unhealthy way.
When it comes on…we are just hitting the person next to us “It’s on! It’s on! Shhhhh!”
The 10 Things I Loved about Episode
- ALL OF THE THINGS!
Shall I narrow it down for you a little? Yep, the costumes…on ALL OF THE BODIES! Terry Dresbach and her designers and all the other people that make that team simply have talent. Much talent. You know it has to be a REMARKABLE team because the outcome is MINDBLOWING! There was not ONE costume that I didn’t want to devour. See it all over, inside out and sideways. Not one. Jon Gary Steele…ummm sir? Is your brain filled like Master Raymond’s Apothecary? I mean, I look at these sets! In my WILDEST imagination I could not picture a tenth … a hundredth… of what you have. Not only imagined but brought to our screens. That, with the costumes and the lighting…this girl was AGOG! Mouth hangin open staring…AGOG. I watch the show over and over evertime, this time…I want to watch it once more…pausing every 5 seconds or less so I can take in EVERYTHING. The apartments, the gardens, the streets, the brothel and Master Raymond’s.There was simply too much to love and you CAN NOT do it in one sitting. Seriously impossible!
2.THE GEMS! They started with some pretty heavy stuff…sounded porny ( My kid shouted from the other room… “Mom, stop watching porn!”), then looked sexy and as quick as that was happening…Claire turns into Black Jerk Randall (which is ALWAYS disturbing isn’t it?) and Jamie turns into a homicidal maniac, plunging his knife into BJR over…and over…and over…Kudos to the sound department btw. You really brought the scene all together. In that scene…Jamie was whole. No scars on his back, his fingers…bendy. It isn’t the kind of things editors on this show miss so…intentional it was. I didn’t catch it first or even second view. If it weren’t pointed out, I may have missed it till the 5th or 6th watch, truth be told. I am ALWAYS lost in the story the first few times I watch. I am not looking for anything else. Whether it be mistakes, clues, easter eggs or the like. One I caught right away was the eye…but granted…it was pretty much RIGHT there. For you to see. Some call it the Jacobite eye, some come from a different place…either way. It connects people does it not? Or does it? Geillis (how I adored her) & Raymond sittin in a tree…what oh what could that eye mean. It goes deep into the books so …yeah…I don’t plan on ruining it for anyone. I don’t want to be know as “a book reader”. *snort*
3. #TheRedDress #TheRedDress #TheRedDress Yeah Yeah Yeah. I know you think I covered everything in respect to this with #1 but no. The Red Dress (all capitalized for dramatic flair ) is a favourite all its own. I know some complained…but those are the some that complain about a lot and if they pick The Red Dress to complain about, that is because they know it was extraordinary and others will give them attention for their views. Others said seeing it out of context ruined it for them…I can’t say they are wrong as it’s their viewpoint. Personally, I saw the red dress before, at an angle that wasn’t the same as the dress when viewed in context so I kinda loved it even more. Plus, you know Jamie & Murtagh MADE the reveal one of perfect gape mouthed boyishness.
4. The #swanipple Dress Also known as the Swan Dress or the Nipple dress. After reading Diana’s version of the dress SO many times…I still had this super weird and slightly disturbing picture of it in my head. I am so very grateful that Terry made it into something…hmmmm…word choice is difficult here. Its definitely not something I would wear…only because a swans neck sure wouldn’t be long enough to wrap…*snort* Never mind…visuals not included. I thought the swanipple dress was SUPER COOL! I have no problem with the female body. Nipples are something we have….(most of us). They aren’t disgusting, they aren’t too private, they are nipples. If we don’t get our drawers in a twist about men’s nipples, which are ONLY decorative. We should relax about a women nipple, they do serve a couple functions. I can envision Terry sitting at her kitchen table trying to perfect the swanipples and it also makes me smile! The actress sporting the dress…carried it off PERFECTLY. Held a gaze and knew…she didn’t care “My nipples are down there…look…I dare ya!”
5. The HUMOUR! I sure did giggle a lot this episode. It started pretty nasty and eye buggy however the mood was lightened significantly by ALL the characters. They all gave me a giggle. Claire and her “Step back” “Bitch, Please!” faces were a guaranteed laugh.
Jamies awkwardness and his reaction to her waxing session. Titter Titter. So many characters added to make us smile and laugh. I enjoyed the dramatic flare of the whole thing…And let’s not forget…He was so good he got 2 votes on my list!
6. MURTAGH! There is an incredible amount of love for this man. Know why? CUZ! Duncan Lacroix has given Murtagh an incredible compassion, sense of humour and the best curmudgeon old fartishness ever. The way he looks at Jamie, is like a father to a son, the way he looks at Claire…a sense of honour in which he holds dear because…well I think Murtagh thinks as much hassle as she is, he likes her lots. Kinda like a puppy…it poops on your floor over and over but you still want to cuddle it. I want so badly for Murtagh to stick around that I want him to be Duncan. Not the guy playing him Duncan but Duncan Innes ( that’s a book reference BTW) So…lets start the campaign now. #DuncanforDuncan . See … it’s kismet man!
7. WhooHoo for Lady Stuff! First Claire’s new BFF Louise De Rohan reminds us…a vulva is just a vulva. Girlfriend is a womans woman if you ask me. She has no qualms about her body, when someone hurts her, she smacks him and makes up swears. Sounds like me and I am a womans woman so…there you go! Naturally, the honey pot scene – made me very happy. Many may not agree with me but I thought the dildo scene was entertaining and guess what? Nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed of if you are comfortable talking about sex & things that go with sex. There is something about dildos that make some people heeby. That’s ok. I don’t particularly understand that mindset but I accept it. Could be the fact that in my everyday life, I am a Pure Romance consultant (it you aren’t 18 or older…don’t click that link! It is a shameless plug…heehee funnier even). Thank goodness for progress right? Dildos are considered the stick shift of the sex toy world… Rechargeable is where we are now. Tesla style. PLUS…NEVER NEVER RENT A DILDO. That’s just narsty.
8. Master Raymond…and his stuff! The froggy faced little man in the apothecary. I HEART HIM! I’m not sure I would kiss him to turn him into a prince but…I heart him all the same. I am looking forward to all of the wonderful things he will be bringing to the show. I will continue to bring up Terry’s costumes…Master Raymond’s costume was on the verge of over load. SO. MUCH. SWEETNESS! Check out Terry’s breakdown of his coat.
9. Douche bags R Us BPC,Durverney & Sandringham. All douchey in their own way. The first intro with Duverney, didn’t he have horndawg written all over that crazy wig of his? He is a foot fetish fiend with great taste. You saw Claire’s shoes right??? I loved his crazy drama. I laughed out loud as Jamie casually pushed him into the pond, it was done perfectly! The wig issue..just made Durverney turn into a loveable perv that looked like a bad Tina Turner impersonator. Then you have UGH…Sandringham…the douche of. This guy was silly sly last season, this season he’s slimey scum. Yeah…Simon Callow is a great actor but this character he plays…well…let’s just say I hope Murtagh gets to put him to sleep.
10. Everybody POOPS! Warning. Please do not take everything so seriously. Can I shout out to the writers for keeping this scene in? Lots of peeps sure were bothered by certain things being taken away and THAT being left in however…King Louis needs to develop a quick bond with Jamie…and what better way to do it that curing the royal backup problem?
Some people wonder how I can be a 20 yr plus, book reader and be so “chill” with the changes. Pretty easy really. The book is the book. The TV show is the TV show. The two don’t interchange in my mind. Do I notice the difference and have an opinion? Of course…however if my opinion is just a negative reaction to something I was “hoping for”, I keep it to myself. Why in the world of the interwebs would I do that? I am not a professional, those who are in the industry are. I find in the long run…if the characters are “familiar”. THAT is what matters. Nuances, story details, physical traits and characters will not be the same. This should EXCITE us, not alienate us. I cant wait till next Sunday! Useful Occupations & Deceptions. We get to meet Fergus and head to the ‘opital!
Keep yer wig on folks. SherryLynn
Founder n Big Mouth of the ABOotlanders